Scroll down to see what's new between the 28th of December and the 3rd of January. I'm going to start with a roundup of 2020. Thanks for tuning in. 🙏
Bye-bye, 2020! What did I learn from doing "The OTT Changelog" for one year? What will change in 2021?
It requires stern discipline to maintain this service.
- I tried being smart by using Puppeteer to automate this service. My Puppeteer script checks what's new (by checking websites, RSS feeds, and more), BUT I still need to review the "fetched resources". In other words: the curation drains time and energy.
- I need to look into ways to automate the curation step.
It's tough to know what the reader's specific OTT interest is. Some readers might be interested in relevant browser updates, others might be interest in changes to technical specifications. I try to make this service as holistic as possible, but I still feel like I'm leaving some things out.
- Let me know if you know what it is!
I don't feel like I have the time (/willingness) to promote this specific service. I need to improve the surrounding framework to "bring it to the next level".
Moving forward, I will stop doing "The OTT Changelog" (on a weekly basis). Instead, I'll A) look into doing it on a monthly basis (and with less "sources"|), or B) try to further automate my script. I haven't decided. I will merge the existing articles into https://ottball.com/ott-changelog/.
- This was not an easy decision. I learnt a lot, but I feel I need to be smarter about my time.
- Instead, I'll write more original content. (Past examples include https://ottball.com/lazy-loading-video/ and https://ottball.com/hbo-max-dissected/.)
- ❤️ If you enjoyed this service in the past, feel free to support me through my https://ko-fi.com/ottball. (I am saving for a new batch of cookies from my local Chip City! 🍪)
The last week of December was a slow one - as one would expect.
|Bitmovin||2020-12-29||Bitmovin’s Intern Series: The Journey from x86 to ARM – Part One|
|Hotstar||2020-12-29||IPL 2020 Infrastructure in Perspective|
Encoders, Transcoders, Packagers
|dav1d||2021-01-02||dav1d 0.8.1 'Eurasian hobby' the fast and lean AV1 decoder
|Encrpted Media Extensions||2020-12-28||Auto-generate respec HTML with GitHub Actions (#479)